Challenging homelessness decisions

If you disagree with a decision the council has made on your homelessness application, it may be possible to challenge the decision and get it overturned.

You may be able to ask the council to review its decision, appeal to the county court, complain to the ombudsman or seek a judicial review.

When the council won’t help

The council may say it is unable to help you, but it may be possible to challenge this decision

Requesting a review

You can request a review if the council has made a decision about your homelessness application that you think is wrong.

County court appeals

If you are still not happy after the council reviews its decision, you can appeal further to the county court.

Complaining to the ombudsman

If you think the council didn't follow the correct procedure or acted unfairly over your application, you can complain to the local government ombudsman

Judicial review

Judicial review is the legal procedure used to challenge the way that the council made its decision, rather than the decision itself