What is the bedroom tax?

The bedroom tax restricts the amount of housing benefit that council and housing association tenants can claim.

How the bedroom tax works

If you are a working-age council or housing association tenant, the council limits your housing benefit claim if it decides you have 'spare' bedrooms.

This housing benefit reduction is called the under-occupancy charge but is more commonly known as the bedroom tax.

The number of bedrooms you can claim for is based on the number of people living in your home. You are expected to pay any outstanding rent yourself.

Use Shelter's bedroom tax checker to see if you are affected by the bedroom tax.

How much housing benefit do you lose?

The amount of rent you can claim housing benefit for is reduced by:

  • 14% if you have one 'spare' bedroom
  • 25% if you have two or more 'spare' bedrooms

For example, if you have one 'spare' bedroom and your rent is £100 per week, only £86 counts when your housing benefit is assessed. You have to pay at least £14 yourself.

If you have two or more 'spare' bedrooms and your rent is £100 per week, only £75 counts when your housing benefit is assessed. You have to pay at least £25 yourself.

Take action if you are affected by the bedroom tax

Ask your council about a discretionary housing payment to help with a rent shortfall.

Make sure you are receiving all the benefits you are entitled to. Use the Turn2Us benefits calculator to check.

Could you take in a lodger? You can keep the first £20 of income from a lodger, but more may affect other benefits.

Find out more about renting your spare room.

If you can't afford to stay, you can try to transfer or exchange to a smaller council or housing association home which doesn't have 'spare' rooms.

Use Shelter's directory to find a local advice centre.

Are you exempt from the bedroom tax?

The bedroom tax won't affect you if you and your partner have reached state pension credit age.

Exemptions also apply to people living in:

  • shared ownership properties
  • caravans, mobile homes and houseboats
  • some types of supported accommodation

Homeless people in temporary accommodation provided by the council are also exempt, unless the accommodation is owned by the council.

Ask your council or housing association if you are not sure about exemptions.

How many bedrooms can you get housing benefit for?

You can only claim housing benefit for:

  • one bedroom for a couple
  • one bedroom for a person aged 16 or over
  • one bedroom for two children aged under 16 of the same sex
  • one bedroom for two children aged under 10 (boys and girls are expected to share a room)
  • one bedroom for any other child
  • one extra bedroom if you or your partner needs an overnight carer to stay

Young people and students

A child is usually counted as living in the home of the person who receives their child benefit.

One extra room is allowed for approved foster carers who foster a child or children. You can keep the room allowance for an empty room set aside for a foster child if you became an approved foster carer or have fostered a child in the last 12 months.

An adopted child or children is counted for the room allowance once an adoption order is made. If children are placed with you before adoption, you are allowed one room only for them.

For students away from home, a room is counted providing they are away for less than 52 weeks and intend to return home.

Children with disabilities

A severely disabled child who needs their own room isn't required to share.

Tell your council if this applies to your family.

The council should take into account the severity of a child's disability (including medical evidence and whether the child receives disability living allowance) and how regularly another child's sleep would be disturbed if they shared a room.

Armed forces

You don't have to pay bedroom tax for a room usually occupied by a member of the armed forces who is serving away, providing they intend to return to your home.

Bedroom tax loophole

If you've lived in the same home and have claimed housing benefit continuously from before 1 January 1996, you may be entitled to a bedroom tax refund.

Last updated:

  • Print this page
  • Email this page