Housing support

You may be eligible for housing support from your council or landlord if you need some extra help with everyday activities at home or in your community.

What is housing support

Housing support is help that is provided to enable someone to manage on a day-to-day basis while living in their own home.

It can include things like:

  • help with budgeting and paying bills
  • planning meals and shopping
  • emotional support
  • help to pursue social or leisure interests

Who provides housing support

Housing support is usually provided by a support worker or a team of support workers, usually from the council. These visit you in your home. Some types of support worker can also go with you to appointments or on shopping trips and support you at social events.

Find details of help available from your local council's social services department.

Some housing associations have support teams. You do not always have to be a tenant of the housing association to receive support from their support team.

There are also support teams who do not have a connection with housing providers who support you in your own home.

Get advice and details about support teams in your area.

Use Shelter's directory to find an advice centre in your local area.

Who housing support is for

Housing support is suitable for a variety of people with low-level support needs.

You may want housing support if you:

  • have a learning disability
  • have a mental health issue
  • have a sensory impairment or physical disability
  • are a young person in their first tenancy
  • are a young single parent
  • are moving into a tenancy after being homeless
  • are at risk of becoming homeless
  • have recently been discharged from prison
  • have drug or alcohol dependency issues

You can get housing support if you live alone or share your house with other people. You could be living in a flat, a house, a hostel or sheltered housing.

Use our accessibility checklist to see if your property suits your needs.

Level of housing support available

The number and length of visits you have from your support worker varies according to the level of support that you require.

Some people only need a couple of short visits each week or month, while other people need to see someone every day and have access to an on-call service.

Applying for housing support

To enquire about housing support, contact your local council and ask them to assess your needs.

Find details of help available from your local council's social services department.

You can also ask your GP or social worker about getting an assessment. If you are in hospital, you can ask the hospital social work team.

Paying for housing support services

If you have a low income or receive welfare benefits, you may be able to get help from your local council to pay for housing support services.

Housing support from more than one provider

You might need different types of support from different kinds of care providers. For example, you may need housing support services to help you budget and plan meals but you may also need a home help to come in to do your housework.

Read more about care at home.

Housing support help and advice 

If you need help to arrange or pay for care, your local Shelter advice centre may be able to help. Many of our local services have advisers specialising in disability and/or care needs, debt and welfare benefits as well as housing law. 

Alternatively, Citizens Advice or another independent advice centre may be able to help you.

Use our directory to find services in your area.

Further information on housing support issues is also available from the following organisations:

Fill out my online form.

Last updated:

  • Print this page
  • Email this page