Boundary disagreements

Boundary disputes can happen if you disagree with your neighbour about boundary lines or if there's a problem with fences or high hedges.

What are boundaries?

Boundaries separate your property from your neighbour's property. These could be physical boundaries such as a wall, fence, hedge or path, or legal boundaries as described in your title deeds or tenancy agreement.

Find out about your boundaries

If you are a homeowner, your title deeds should describe the general boundaries of your property. They tell you if you own any land, for example your garden. They usually give you measurements of the area you own.

The Land Registry may hold a copy of the plans. This should show the boundaries to your property. Any joint or shared boundaries may also be shown on the plan and described in the title deeds.

Find out more from about working out your property boundaries.

Get legal advice if you have questions about your boundaries. A solicitor can help you establish where your boundaries are. Use the Law Society directory to find a local legal adviser.

Boundaries in rented homes

If you have a written tenancy agreement, this may state where the boundaries of the property are. It may also say you are responsible for the upkeep of shared hedges for example.

Find out more about the responsibility for maintenance and repairs in rented homes.

Ask your landlord if you don't have a written tenancy agreement or if it doesn't give details of the boundaries of your tenancy.

Get advice if you have a problem with the boundaries of your home, for example because they are not being maintained properly.

Use Shelter's directory to find a local advice service.

Problems with hedges, fences and trees

Hedges and trees can cause disputes between neighbours if they grow near, on or over boundaries.

Find out more about dealing with a neighbour dispute.

You can make a complaint to the local council if a neighbour's high hedges are a problem. The council may ask for evidence that you have tried to solve the problem by negotiation. The council may charge you a fee before it investigates your complaint.

Find out more from about dealing with high hedge disputes.

Extending your home

Homeowners usually need planning permission and a building warrant before extending their property.

The title deeds to your home may say that your neighbours must agree to any alterations you intend to make. 

Fill out my online form.

Last updated:

  • Print this page
  • Email this page