How to deal with antisocial behaviour by neighbours

Neighbours may be able to take action to deal with antisocial behaviour in their community.

Mediation and negotiation

You may be able to deal with problems with antisocial behaviour by talking to the tenants involved.

Read more about negotiation and mediation to solve neighbour disputes.

Make a complaint

Neighbours may be able to complain to the landlord if there is a problem with antisocial behaviour in a property rented from a council or housing association. Council or housing association landlords usually have a formal complaints procedure that neighbours can use. In many cases this must be followed before a neighbour can take any further action.

If the council or housing association cannot help with your complaint, you may be able to complain further to the Housing Ombudsman Service. It deals with complaints about councils and housing associations.

The ombudsman can only look into a complaint if you have already tried to use the council or housing association's formal complaints procedure.

Neighbours could consider complaining directly to a private landlord if there are problems with a private rented tenancy.

Contact the council if there is a problem with antisocial behaviour from the tenants of a house in multiple occupancy.

Apply for an injunction

An injunction is a court order made against one or more people. Neighbours might apply for an injunction themselves or ask a landlord to do so.

Usually an injunction orders someone not to do something, for example not to make noise or not to shout abuse at neighbours. Sometimes an injunction orders someone to do something, for example to clear rubbish from the front garden.

Injunctions sometimes have a power of arrest attached. This means that the police can arrest the person who breaks the injunction.

A court can make an injunction to stop antisocial behaviour in situations such as when:

  • a landlord wants a tenant to comply with what the tenancy agreement says (such as not annoying neighbours)
  • neighbours want to stop harassment
  • a council or a housing association want to stop antisocial behaviour where there is a risk of violence

Read more from Advice Guide about dealing with antisocial behaviour in your neighbourhood.

Fill out my online form.

Last updated:

  • Print this page
  • Email this page