Rent in advance

Private rented sector landlords often ask for one month's rent in addition to a tenancy deposit. Find out how and where to get help paying rent in advance.

What is rent in advance?

In most private rented tenancies rent is paid at the start of the month, for the coming month. This is known as rent in advance.

Before taking up a new tenancy, you pay the rent for the first month upfront. At the end of the tenancy, your last payment of rent is a month before the date your tenancy ends.

Rent in advance is not the same as a tenancy deposit, which landlords ask for as a guarantee against you not paying your rent or damaging the property.

Find out about tenancy deposit protection scheme rules.

When you take on a new private tenancy, you usually need to budget for both rent in advance and a tenancy deposit.

Always ask the landlord (or letting agent) for a receipt for any money you have paid and check when your rent payments are due.

Housing benefit and rent in advance

If you claim housing benefit or local housing allowance, it is paid four weeks in arrears. It can't be paid before your tenancy starts. Some landlords ask for rent in advance, so you'll need to find this money from somewhere else.

Get advice if there is a delay in getting your housing benefit.

Use Shelter's directory to find a housing or welfare rights adviser in your area.

Make a DHP claim

You can ask your council for a discretionary housing payment towards the rent in advance if you already claim housing benefit.

Tell the council in detail why you are struggling to pay all your rent.

Budgeting loans to help with paying for rent in advance

You may be able to apply for a budgeting loan to help if you can't afford to pay rent in advance.

To qualify for a budgeting loan, you or your partner must have been receiving income support or income based jobseeker's allowance for at least 26 weeks.

You can make an application for a budgeting loan at your local Jobcentre Plus.

Claim forms are also available online from

Other loan schemes to help pay for rent in advance

Some councils, charities and local housing associations operate loan schemes to help tenants cover the cost of paying a landlord their first month's rent.

Different schemes have different rules. To be eligible you should:

  • have a local connection
  • be on a low income or in receipt of welfare benefits
  • be homeless or threatened with homelessness.

Some schemes also need you to show that you can repay a loan and are able to sustain a tenancy.

These schemes usually offer an interest free loan that is paid directly to the landlord. The tenant must then pay this amount back at an agreed rate. If you are eligible for housing benefit, the money is repaid from this.

Other renting fees

Some landlords and letting agents charge you a fee for checking your references and other administration tasks such as drafting your tenancy agreement. They can only charge you these fees once your tenancy has been agreed.

It is illegal for agencies to charge for looking for a property for you.


Last updated:

Last updated:

  • Print this page
  • Email this page