What to do if your landlord refuses to do repairs

There are steps you can take to get repairs done to your home if your landlord ignores your requests or takes too long to complete the work.

1. Get advice about eviction

Get advice if you're worried about being evicted over repairs.

Use Shelter's directory to find a local advice centre.

Find out more about the risk of eviction.

2. Tell your landlord that repairs are needed

Landlords are usually only responsible for repairs they've been told about. You need to give them a reasonable time to start doing the repairs.

Use Shelter's template letter to write to your landlord to ask for repairs.

3. Contact your landlord again

If your landlord doesn't reply to your first request for repairs, contact them again.

Use Shelter's template letter to write again to ask your landlord for repairs.

4.  Gather information about repairs needed

Keep a record of the repairs and your efforts to get the landlord to sort them. 

This could include:

  • photographs of what needs repairing
  • copies of letters or emails you've sent to your landlord
  • receipts for any items you've had to buy to replace damaged items, for example furniture or curtains
  • doctors' notes, if the disrepair is bad for your health or the health of someone else in your household
  • other professional reports or bills if you have them, for example if you've had to pay for pest control or get a surveyor to check for damp

Keeping records helps if you need to make a complaint.

5.  Tell your landlord you're contacting the council

If a reasonable amount of time has passed and your landlord won't do repairs, write again to say that you'll be asking the council to check if your home is safe to live in.

Use Shelter's template letter to write to your landlord to say you'll contact the council if they don't do repairs.

6.  Ask the council for help to get repairs done

Contact your local council to request an inspection if your landlord ignores or refuses your request to carry out necessary repairs. 

The council should be able to offer help and advice and may tell the landlord to do repairs.

Use Shelter's template letter to write to ask the council to inspect your home.

Find out more about asking the council for help.

Get advice if the council tells you it can't help you. Use Shelter's directory to find a local advice centre.

7. Do the repairs yourself and deduct the cost from your rent

If your landlord refuses to do repairs, you do not have the right to withhold your rent. If you don't pay rent, the landlord could take steps to evict you.

You can arrange for the repairs to be done yourself and then deduct the cost from your rent if the landlord has failed to do the repairs.

You must follow the correct procedure. If you don't you could be evicted and still owe all the rent.

Get advice about doing this, especially if you are an assured shorthold tenant as it is easy for your landlord to evict you even if you do follow the correct procedure.

Read more about doing the repairs if your landlord won't.

8.  Ask about a reduction to your rent

You may be able to claim a discount in your rent if the work to your home has been very disruptive.

Find out more about what to expect during repair work.

9.  Take legal action

It may be possible to take legal action against your landlord. The court may be able to order your landlord to:

Get advice about taking legal action against your landlord.

Use Shelter's directory to find a local law centre or call our free helpline on 0808 800 4444 for advice.

Last updated:

  • Print this page
  • Email this page