Sharing and subletting

If you rent from another tenant or share a home with a landlord, your housing rights are affected by the type of tenancy you have.


Find out more about renting rights when you are a lodger, living in someone else's home.

Occupiers with basic protection

If you're living in the same building as your landlord you may be classed as an 'occupier with basic protection'. This gives you limited tenancy rights

Excluded occupiers

You are probably an excluded occupier if you share your home with your landlord.


A subtenant rents their home, either a room or the whole property, from another tenant.