Gypsies and Travellers

Eviction of Gypsies and Travellers from their own land

Find out what you can do if the council wants to evict you from land you own but don't have planning permission to live on it.

Eviction from private land

Your rights on a privately run Gypsy/Traveller site depend on what kind of site it is, and whether it is a protected site with planning permission

Eviction by the police

If you are a Gypsy/Traveller and the council or a private landlord is trying to evict you, they may call in the police to remove you

Eviction by the council

What Gypsies/Travellers can do if the council has asked you to leave an authorised or unauthorised site, and when the council has the right to make you move on.

Pitches on council sites

Some local councils have sites for Gypsies/Travellers, but you can't just move onto a council site. See how to apply and what the council should provide.

Parking on unauthorised sites

Unauthorised sites will normally be unlicensed, may not have planning permission or permission of the owner. What the law says about unauthorised sites.