Right to buy your council home

The right to buy gives council tenants the chance to buy their council home at a discounted price – now up to £100,000 in London and £75,000 in other areas of England. Find out if you qualify, about mortgages and who has to pay for repairs and improvements.

Right to buy your council home

Council tenants may have the 'right to buy' the home they rent at a discounted price through the right to buy scheme. Housing association tenants may also qualify if they were originally council tenants and their tenancy has been transferred to a housing association.

If you qualify for the right to buy you can buy your home jointly with a joint tenant or with up to three family members who have lived in your home for at least the last 12 months.

Qualifying for the right to buy a council house

To be eligible to buy your council home, you must be a council tenant and must have been a social housing tenant for at least 5 years. The 5 years doesn't have to be all at once and you can count any time spent as:

You may not be entitled to buy your home under the right to buy if:

  • the property isn't your only or main home
  • your home isn't self-contained (eg you share a kitchen or bathroom)
  • you are bankrupt or threatened with bankruptcy or have other serious money problems
  • you live in sheltered housing
  • your home has been designed or adapted for people with special needs

Right to buy homes transferred to housing associations

If your home has been transferred from the council to a housing association since you moved in, you probably still have the right to buy. This is called the 'preserved' right to buy. 

Use form RTB1 to apply to your housing association instead of the council.

(Housing association tenants have similar rights under the right to acquire).

Applying for the right to buy

To apply for the right to buy, download claim form RTB1 from Gov.uk or ask your council for the form.

After you apply, the council has to give you a decision within four to eight weeks.

If the council decides that you have the right to buy, it has to send you a formal written notice. This describes the property and explains:

  • the terms and conditions of the sale
  • the value of the property
  • the discount you will get and how it is calculated
  • if the property is a flat, an estimate of the service charges you will have to pay
  • details of any structural problems that the council is aware of

The council has to give you a reason if it tells you that you don't have the right to buy.

Ask for a more detailed explanation if you think the council's decision is wrong.

Get advice if your application is refused. Use Shelter's directory to find a local advice centre.

You may wish to consider other alternative home ownership schemes.

Discounts on homes bought using the right to buy

When you apply a valuer assesses what the property is worth. You are offered the opportunity to buy it at a reduced price.

The UK Government sets the maximum discount on the sale price. From April 2013, the maximum discount in London is £100,000 and £75,000 in other areas. The amount of discount you get depends on:

  • how long you have been a council tenant
  • if the property is a house or a flat
  • the age and condition of the property

The costs of buying a council house

Unless you have the money to buy your home, you have to get a mortgage from a bank or building society. You may also need to fund a deposit and pay the costs involved in buying a home. The costs of your mortgage may vary over time as interest rates change or you apply for new mortgage deals.

As a home-owner, you have to budget for the costs of emergency and long-term repairs and improvements to your home.

If you buy a flat, you are probably a leaseholder and you may have to budget for service charges and repair costs for communal areas as well as for your own flat. You also need to budget for the costs of running your home

Use Shelter's budget calculator to work out a list of homeowners costs

It's important to consider how you will manage if your circumstances change. If you are out of work for example, you won't be eligible for housing benefit but may be able to claim Support for Mortgage Interest payments as part of certain other benefits. But you may only be able to claim this for a limited time.

Repair costs for communal areas

Repair and maintenance costs of flats can be expensive. You may have to contribute towards the cost of repairs and improvements to the communal areas of your block of flats and sometimes on your estate. Sometimes buyers of council houses also have to contribute to the costs of communal areas.

These can include the cost of repairs and improvements to:

  • communal lifts and stairs
  • floors and paths
  • windows
  • roofs
  • gardens and play areas

These charges can be expensive, especially if the council plans to do works to improve the standard of housing. You may have to budget for additional loans or mortgages to fund these types of repairs. Bills can be many thousands of pounds.

Your council has a legal duty to tell you about the cost of repairs and improvements before you buy a leasehold flat and anytime afterwards when repairs are planned. However, a council's estimate of the costs involved may be lower than the final bill.

Selling a home bought using the right to buy

You have to repay some or all of the discount if you decide to sell your home within the first 5 years (or it is repossessed by your mortgage lender during that time).

If you bought your home after the start of January 2005, your council also has the right of first refusal for 10 years after you buy your council home.

Advice and help on the right to buy

Be aware of the risks of home ownership before you buy and get independent financial advice before committing to a mortgage.

Make sure you get financial advice for the long term and think about how to cover the additional costs of repairs and improvements to your home.

If you are not sure you have the right to buy, get advice from a Shelter advice centre, Citizens Advice or other advice centre in your area.

Use Shelter's directory to find a face-to-face adviser in your area.

Last updated:

  • Print this page
  • Email this page