About housing associations

Housing associations, also known as registered social landlords, are social housing providers. They are run on a not-for-profit basis.

Most housing associations offer secure, assured, assured shorthold and starter tenancies. As a new tenant, you'll probably be offered a starter tenancy first. The accommodation you get is usually similar to what a council would provide.

You can apply for a tenancy directly to the housing association or the council might put you in touch with one or more of them.

What are housing associations?

Housing associations are not-for-profit businesses that provide social housing. Find out more about how they work and how to apply for a place to live.

What are housing co-operatives?

Housing co-operatives can provide affordable housing. You may also have more control over where you live. Find out more about housing co-ops

Housing association starter tenancies

A housing association may give you a starter tenancy as a 12-month trial period at the beginning of your tenancy.

Assured tenancies with housing associations

Most housing association tenants have assured tenancies, but you should check your status if you are uncertain. If you have another type of housing association tenancy, your rights will be very different.

Assured shorthold tenancies with housing associations

Housing associations often provide assured shorthold tenancies if the tenancy is temporary, or if it is a starter or demoted tenancy

Secure housing association tenancies

Secure tenants have stronger rights compared to other housing association tenants. Secure tenancies started before January 1989, but there are exceptions.

Demoted housing association tenancies

If your tenancy has been demoted you can be evicted more easily. A housing association can demote the type of tenancy you have for a certain period of time.

Complaints about housing associations

A complaint about a housing association should be made using the housing association’s formal complaints procedure.