Your deposit is your money. Your landlord should protect your deposit in one of the schemes listed within 30 days of receiving it. If not, you could be due compensation of 1 to 3 times the value of the deposit.
You automatically have an assured shorthold tenancy if:
- you moved in on or after 28 February 1997 and
- you pay rent to a private landlord and
- you have control over your home so that your landlord and other people cannot come in whenever they want to and
- your landlord does not live in the same building as you and
- you are not living in university or college accommodation or business premises.