Worried about your rent or mortgage?

We can help if you’re struggling to pay your rent or mortgage. Getting into arrears doesn’t mean you have to lose your home. You can negotiate with your landlord or mortgage lender so that you can pay off what you owe at a rate you can afford.

Pay your rent or mortgage first

Paying the rent or mortgage should always be your first priority, or you could lose your home. We show you how to deal with priority debts first.

Check if you’re entitled to housing benefit

You may be able to claim housing benefit or have housing benefit backdated.

Help if you’ve lost your job

We can help if you’ve been made redundant and need advice about paying for your home, whether you’re a homeowner or a tenant.

Government help for homeowners

If you are claiming certain benefits, you may get help for your interest payments through the Support for Mortgage Interest scheme.

Get your money organised

If you're finding it difficult to pay your rent or mortgage, could you get help with debts or find ways to save money?

Apply for a budgeting loan

You could get an interest free budgeting loan from the government to help with housing-related costs, if you are already claiming certain benefits.

  • Print this page
  • Email this page