Writing to your MP

Writing to your MP is a great way to raise awareness of homelessness and bad housing in your area.

If your MP then writes to a Minister on your behalf they will receive a reply signed by the Minister. A letter sent directly to a Minister will probably only be seen by a civil servant.

Things to remember:

  • If you're writing a letter, address it to the MP's name followed by 'MP'. Eg Joe Public MP. Then the letter should start 'Dear Mr Public'.
  • Keep it brief, firm and polite
  • Focus on your personal experience and the strength of local feeling
  • Ask your MP for their opinion on the issue - you have a right to know what they think!
  • Ask your MP to contact the Housing Minister with your concerns

A handwritten letter always has more of an impact, so please write to your MP's constituency office, or to:

The House of Commons, Westminster, London, SW1A 0AA.

Alternatively, you could send your message by email

Sample letters

Download a sample letter about overcrowding or tackling street homelessness.