Skip to main content
Shelter Logo

Homelessness advice

Who should the council help and how?

You can ask for council help if you're homeless now, or could be in the next 2 months.

The council must give you emergency housing if they think you could be homeless, meet immigration conditions and have a priority need.

Check what help you should get based on your situation.

Help for young people

At risk or unsafe where you live

Relationship breakdown

Homeless help in other situations

Get council help and support if you're homeless and:

Homeless help if you're from abroad

The council's homeless team can help if you meet the immigration conditions.

Read our advice for:

If you cannot get help because of your immigration status

Find out about support and housing for:

Help and information in other languages

Get advice and support from refugee and migrant charities.

Legal words explained

The council may use legal terms to talk about your situation. Find out what they mean:

Sometimes councils do not help when they should.

Get free legal advice if you're homeless.

Other practical advice

If you’re worried about someone you’ve seen sleeping rough, contact StreetLink

Last updated: 8 July 2024

If you need to talk to someone, we'll do our best to help

Get help