Skip to main content
Shelter Logo

Housing help for people with no recourse to public funds

This page is for single people and couples.

We have different advice for people who have children.

What does 'no recourse to public funds' mean?

It means you cannot get most benefits, council housing or homeless help.

This is usually because your visa or leave to remain says you cannot get this help. For example, skilled worker or student visas.

It could also be because you do not have permission to be in the UK.

Get advice from an immigration adviser to check if you could change your visa or immigration status.

Help with rent and other support

The No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF) Network lists benefits you could get.

It also has a web tool to work out your options.

Food, clothes and bills

Councils have local welfare schemes that help with things like food, clothes and bills.

Each scheme has its own rules about who can get help.

Ask your council about this.

Search for a local food bank on the Trussell Trust website.

Can your landlord make you move out?

You do not have to leave just because your landlord says they want the property back.

They need to give you a written notice.

You do not have to leave when the notice ends.

Your landlord then has to apply to court and the process usually takes a few months.

You are not in trouble with the law if you're evicted through the courts. This is the legal process most landlords must follow if they want you to move out.

Your rights are different if you live with your landlord.

It could be harassment if your landlord or letting agent tries to force you out without following the legal process.

Help to find housing

Some councils and charities run schemes to help people find private rented housing.

Use the Help to Rent database run by Crisis to find this support.


An organisation could match you with someone who can offer a room in their home.

You can find out more about your local accommodation schemes from the No Accommodation Network (NACCOM).


You have to pay for most homeless hostels.

But you could get free or low cost accommodation.

Search for local charities and day centres on Homeless Link.

Find out more about how to get a place to stay if you're on the streets.

Support for disability or care needs

You could ask social services for help if you're disabled or have serious health problems.

Get immigration advice before you contact social services.

Shelter cannot give immigration advice.

Citizens Advice can help you get specialist immigration advice.

You can search for a regulated immigration adviser on GOV.UK

If you're helping someone in this situation

A certified adviser can check if it's possible to have the NRPF condition changed.

Free immigration advice is available from:

The No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF) Network has information about rights, resources and services.

You can contact StreetLink if you're worried about someone who is street homeless.

Last updated: 18 September 2023

If you need to talk to someone, we'll do our best to help

Get help