Skip to main content
Shelter Logo

Homeless help from the council

Ask for homeless help if:

  • you're homeless now

  • you could be homeless in the next 8 weeks

  • you get a section 21 notice from your landlord

Most people can get some help from the council's homeless team.

Some people can get emergency housing. For example, homeless families with children. Or other homeless people who could have a priority need.

You can only get help from the homeless team if you meet immigration conditions.

You cannot get this help if you have 'no recourse to public funds'.

Families with no recourse to public funds might get some help from social services. This is a different team at the council. This team should keep children safe and support families.

Find out about options for single people with no recourse to public funds.

Last updated: 9 January 2024

If you need to talk to someone, we'll do our best to help

Get help