Stopping DSS discrimination
You’re helping us say no to ‘No DSS’
We’ve been campaigning to change the face of renting – and we’re winning.
For too long, too many people receiving benefits have faced barriers to renting. From vast numbers of properties being advertised as ‘No DSS’ to total bans against people on housing benefit, unjust and potentially unlawful prejudice has been widespread.
Over the past year, we’ve been campaigning on the issue. We’ve won important changes and are helping to stamp out DSS discrimination across the industry
Key moments of the campaign so far include:
- Shelter gives evidence about the effect of DSS discrimination to a parliamentary select committee of powerful MPs
- our campaigning convinces NatWest, Metro Bank, Co-op and many more banks to remove DSS restrictions from their mortgage terms
- we persuade property portal Zoopla to scrap their discriminatory policies
- 35,000 Shelter supporters speak out against DSS discrimination by signing our petition to demand that seven leading letting agents change their policies
- thousands more supporters take to Twitter to demand that Rightmove follow Zoopla’s steps to end discrimination
Together, we’re making progress and changing the face of renting. We know that change is possible, but everyone must play their part to end housing benefit discrimination.