Collector Conduct Policy
Fundraising collections are a great way of raising money for our vital work, and we simply couldn’t do this without the support of volunteers!
The guidelines below will help to make sure that we are fulfilling our obligations as a registered charity, so that we can continue to raise and collect money in this way in the future. Remember, if you have any questions you can contact the Community Fundraising team who will be able to assist you.
- Email: Community@Shelter.org.uk
- Phone: 0344 515 1190
- Out of hours: This will be provided by your Regional Community Fundraiser
- please remember that as you are using the Shelter brand, the general public will associate you with our cause, and therefore your conduct (i.e. behaviour and language) will also reflect on us
- please do not smoke or drink alcohol whilst wearing or using Shelter branded clothing or equipment
- you will need to ensure that there is an adult (over 18) present at the collection at all times
- it’s great to encourage people to support, but please do not use shaking of the buckets as a means to get someone’s attention
- please do not approach anyone, allow people to come to you
- please ensure you are wearing appropriate clothing for the location and date/time of your collection
please direct people to our website if:
- they make an enquiry about housing advice or any of our services
- they wish to donate by other means
- they have had a previous issue with Shelter and wish to make a complaint
- you are asked any other questions that you do not feel comfortable answering
- if you are approached by someone who is homeless or needs Shelter’s support, please be clear that you are not qualified to give advice and instead either direct them to our website (England: https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_help or Scotland https://scotland.shelter.org.uk/get_advice) or to our helpline (0808 800 4444)
- in the unlikely event that someone approaches you in a confrontational manner, please seek the nearest refuge and do not engage. Your safety is our number one priority
If you have any questions or would like any further advice, please contact the team and we will be more than happy to support.