Your rights in supported housing

Supported housing schemes can include:

  • hostels or refuges

  • sheltered housing for older people

  • self-contained homes with visits from support workers

Your agreement should set out your rights and responsibilities.

Hostels and refuges

The council or housing association can probably evict you without going to court if you have a hostel or refuge space and:

  • you get food or share a kitchen with other residents

  • the hostel or refuge is owned by a council or housing association  

Self contained housing with support

You probably have a licence if people come in to give support or check on your well-being. 

You probably have a tenancy if support workers need your permission to visit. 

Most supported housing agreements are not lifetime tenancies. You might have:

  • an assured shorthold tenancy if your landlord is a housing association

  • a non-secure tenancy if your landlord is the council  

Your landlord usually has to apply for an eviction order if your tenancy or licence ends and you stay in the property. 

Sheltered housing for older people

Sheltered housing is usually in a scheme with a warden or emergency alarm system. There may be communal areas and social activities for residents.  

Most sheltered housing for older people is provided by councils and housing associations.

If you're offered sheltered housing from the council's waiting list it could be:

Care and support assessments

You can ask social services for an assessment if you need help to manage at home.

Find out more at Advicelocal.

Last updated: 28 January 2022

If you need to talk to someone, we'll do our best to help

Get help