Skip to main content
Shelter Logo

Housing help if your home is flooded

Check GOV.UK's live flooding service to see if there is a flood risk in your area.

If you have to leave your home

You must leave your home if the emergency services or the council ask you to.

Flooded houses can be dangerous because of:

  • sewage

  • damaged electrics or a damaged gas supply

Your local council usually has plans in place for emergency evacuation and help during a flood.

Find out more from GOV.UK about help after a flood.

If you are homeless after a flood

Your council must give you emergency accommodation if you're homeless after flooding.

You count as in in priority need for homelessness help from the council.

Contact your council as soon as you can to make a homelessness application.

How to contact your council's homeless team

What is your location?

Repairs after a flood

Your landlord must repair your home so that it is fit for you to live in again.

They must make sure your home meets health and safety standards.

But they do not have to rebuild a property if it is very badly damaged and must be pulled down.

If you have to move out

You may have to move out of your home while repairs are done.

Get your landlord's agreement in writing to say you:

  • had to move out due to flooding

  • can move back in when repairs are done

Ask your landlord how long the repairs could take.

Paying rent on your home and temporary housing

Your landlord might have insurance to cover your rent while repairs are done. The insurance could also pay for temporary housing if you have to stay somewhere else.

If your landlord does not have this insurance, you could ask them to:

  • not charge you rent until repairs are done and you can move back

  • pay some money to help with costs if you have to stay somewhere else, for example a hotel

Private landlords do not have to rehouse you but you could talk to them about it. Get any agreement in writing.

Council or housing association tenants

If you rent from the council or a housing association, they should give you temporary accommodation if you have to move out.

Claiming benefits to help with rent

You could get the universal credit housing element if you have to move out because of essential repairs.

If the council gives you emergency housing because of the flooding, you probably need to apply for housing benefit. Ask the council how to do this.

Paying rent for a flooded home

Your landlord might tell you to keep paying rent for your flooded home.

You can ask your landlord for a rent reduction or refund until the property is fixed.

If you cannot live in your home, you can ask your landlord to suspend rent payments.

Check if your tenancy agreement says anything about paying rent if you cannot live in the property for reasons like a flood.

Get any agreement about rent in writing from your landlord.

Damaged belongings

Your landlord is not responsible for replacing or repairing any of your personal belongings that are flood damaged.

You could get help from a local assistance fund.

Homeowner's insurance help

If you own your home, you are usually responsible for repairs due to flood damage.

Check if your insurance covers you for:

  • repair costs if your home is flooded

  • replacing your belongings

  • another place to stay if you have to move out temporarily

  • legal cover and legal advice

Money Helper have more about flood insurance.

If you own a leasehold flat, check if your freeholder's insurance covers any of the repair costs. Buildings insurance should cover flood risks.

Last updated: 3 April 2024

If you need to talk to someone, we'll do our best to help

Get help