Access to your rented home for repairs and inspections

Your landlord must:

  • fix things that you have reported

  • arrange gas or electrical safety checks

  • inspect your home for any repairs needed

You must allow access to your home so your landlord can meet their legal responsibilities.

You only have to allow access for improvements that do not count as repairs if you want the work to go ahead.

If your landlord comes in without permission

You have the right to live in your home without being disturbed unreasonably. This is sometimes called having a right to 'quiet enjoyment' of the property.

It could be harassment if your landlord keeps turning up unannounced, or enters your home without notice or permission.

When your landlord can visit  

Landlords and their agents or contractors should only carry out work or inspect your home at reasonable times.

You're entitled to:

  • at least 24 hours' written notice of an inspection

  • reasonable notice if someone needs access to your home to carry out repairs

Reasonable notice could be short if urgent or emergency repairs are needed. But they must still make an appointment and should not just turn up.

If an appointment is not convenient

Suggest a different time.

You may not need to be there in person. If you're comfortable with it, you could:

  • ask a family member or neighbour to let them in

  • give your landlord or agent permission to enter with a key

Coronavirus guidance

Government guidance for landlords and tenants says that the following can take place:

  • gas and electrical safety checks

  • repairs and maintenance including non urgent work

Annual gas safety checks remain an important legal requirement.

If you have coronavirus

GOV.UK guidance says you should stay at home and avoid contact with other people if you have:

  • coronavirus symptoms

  • tested positive for coronavirus

Let your landlord or contractors know if you have coronavirus so the visit can be postponed.

You should allow access for repairs and safety checks once you can do so safely.

If you're self isolating, no one should come into your home unless it's to fix a serious problem that puts you at direct risk of harm.

See GOV.UK guidance on repairs and maintenance work during coronavirus.

If you're concerned about having others in your home 

You could ask your landlord to delay any non urgent repairs or inspections if you do not want anyone to come into your home right now.

For example, if you:

  • are at higher risk from coronavirus

  • expect to get your vaccine or booster soon

The government is no longer advising people at higher risk from coronavirus to shield. But you could explain your health concerns to your landlord and agree steps to minimise contact if someone needs to come into you home.

If you refuse access to your home

Refusing access for repairs, inspections and safety checks could:

  • put your health or safety at risk

  • break the rules of your tenancy agreement

This does not mean that either your landlord or contractors should just let themselves in. Legally, your landlord would have to apply for a court order to get access. 

You could be at risk of section 21 eviction if you rent privately and refuse access for repairs or gas or electrical safety checks. 

Last updated: 11 March 2022

If you need to talk to someone, we'll do our best to help

Get help