Letter before court action: Deposit compensation

You should send your landlord a formal letter before starting court action.

This is called a 'letter before claim' or 'letter before action'.

It gives your landlord another chance to negotiate and warns them your next step will be court action.

You can ask for compensation of up to 3 times the value of your deposit.

These templates are for when the landlord has broken deposit protection rules.

Find out how to make a tenancy deposit compensation claim.

Use this letter template instead if the dispute is about the return of your deposit.

Choose a template letter before court action

Last updated: 26 June 2023

If you need to talk to someone, we'll do our best to help

Get help