Skip to main content
Shelter Logo

Shelter responds to inquest’s ruling that 2-year-old Awaab Ishak died as a result of prolonged exposure to mould in his social home in Rochdale

Posted 15 Nov 2022

Polly Neate, Chief Executive of Shelter, said: “Awaab Ishak’s death is truly heart-breaking. Nobody’s home should ever put their life at risk. For too long, too many social housing tenants have been forced to live in dangerous conditions in homes riddled with mould, with their complaints going unheard and unanswered. 

“The government promised it would bring in reforms and make sure social landlords are properly held to account.The long overdueSocial Housing Regulation Bill is a vital opportunity to make sure tenants are listened to, their homes are fit to live in and a tragedy like this never happens again. 

 “As the Bill moves through Parliament it's crucial that it has the clout to keep people safe in their homes. Just as we would expect a teacher to be qualified and for schools to be routinely inspected, we should expect this level of professionalism and care from social landlords too.”