Briefing: What's wrong with the bedroom tax?

By: Kate Webb
Published: April 2013

Briefing: What's wrong with the Bedroom Tax?

From April 2013, people living in council or housing association homes will have their housing benefit reduced if Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) rules determine their home is too big for their needs. The amount of rent people can claim housing benefit for will be reduced if they have one or more spare rooms. This means they will have to find the money to cover the difference, or move out.