Briefing: What's wrong with the bedroom tax?

By: Kate Webb  Published: April 2013

From April 2013 660,000 households will have to move or find extra cash to cover their rent as a result of the new “bedroom tax”. This is about a third of all working-age housing benefit claimants living in the social rented sector. Disabled people and their families will be particularly affected. Shelter is calling for exemptions to protect them from having their lives overturned by this reform.


From April 2013, people living in council or housing association homes will have their housing benefit reduced if Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) rules determine their home is too big for their needs. The amount of rent people can claim housing benefit for will be reduced if they have one or more spare rooms. This means they will have to find the money to cover the difference, or move out.


Download the full document: