Housing benefit deductions when living with non dependants

What is a non dependant deduction?

A non dependant deduction is a reduction in your housing benefit for certain adults who normally live with you - usually friends or family members.

Non dependants are usually expected to contribute something towards your rent.

The council makes a non dependant deduction from your housing benefit even if your friend or family member doesn't actually pay you anything.  

When you're exempt

You're exempt if you or your partner are registered blind, or if either of you get any of the following benefits:

  • personal independence payment (PIP) - daily living component 

  • disability living allowance (DLA) - care component 

  • attendance allowance

  • armed forces independence payment

Your housing benefit can't be reduced by non dependant deductions.

Adults in your home who don't count

The definition of non dependant doesn't include your partner, a lodger, another joint tenant or a guest who only stays with you sometimes.


There's no deduction for full time students during term time, or holidays if they're not working. 

A deduction will be made during summer holidays if they work more than 16 hours a week. It's your responsibility to report this change.

A family member who is away

A non dependant deduction should not apply if your family member is away from home. For example, because they're in prison or serving in the armed forces.

Some people claiming benefits

No deduction is made for a young person under 25 who gets: 

  • universal credit - with no earned income

  • jobseekers allowance (JSA) - income based

  • income support 

There's also no deduction for an older person who gets pension credit.

How much is a non dependant deduction?

Your housing benefit is reduced by a set amount. This is based on your friend or family member's earned weekly income before tax, also known as gross income.

Deductions from April 2022

The deduction is £16.45 a week if they're not working.

How much your relative or friend earns each week before taxWeekly deduction from your housing benefit
Less than £154£16.45
Between £154 and £223.99£37.80
Between £224 and £291.99£51.85
Between £292 and £388.99£84.85
Between £389 and £483.99£96.60
£484 or more£106.05

If a non dependant refuses to contribute

Non dependants can't get housing benefit for their contributions to household costs.

It can cause financial problems if a non dependant doesn't contribute to the household budget.

Don't risk rent arrears because of this. You could lose your home. Speak to your friend or family member and explain this to them.

Last updated: 3 April 2022

If you need to talk to someone, we'll do our best to help

Get help