Skip to main content
Shelter Logo

Universal credit: Housing cost contributions

Housing costs contributions are set deductions from your universal credit (UC).

Your UC housing element is reduced if:

  • other adults live with you on an informal basis

  • they expect these adults to help with your rent

The DWP describes adults they expect to help with your rent as 'non dependants'.

How much is the deduction?

£91.47 a month is taken from your UC for each non dependant adult who lives with you.

This happens even if your relative or friend pays little or no money to live with you.

You may need to ask your relative or friend to help with your rent.

Example: how deductions affect your housing element

You rent your council home for £400 a month.

You do not work so your UC housing element is based on your full rent.

Your adult son lives with you and counts as a non dependant.

You only get £308.53 a month as your housing element.

This is worked out like this: £400 (your rent) – £91.47 (the housing cost contribution) = £308.53 (your housing element).

You need to ask your son to help with the rent shortfall or pay it from other income.

No deductions because of disability

The DWP must not reduce your housing element if you, your partner or your non dependant get any of the following disability benefits:

  • attendance allowance

  • personal independence payment (PIP) - daily living component

  • disability living allowance (DLA) - middle or high rate care component

No deductions for other reasons

The DWP must not reduce your housing element for a non dependant who is:

  • under 21

  • in prison

  • responsible for a child under 5

  • getting pension credit or carers allowance

  • a child or stepchild in the armed forces and away on operations

Still need help?

Last updated: 4 April 2024

If you need to talk to someone, we'll do our best to help

Get help