Where to get benefits advice

Benefits advisers help with problems with benefits and tax credits.

How a benefits adviser can help

A benefits adviser may be able to:

  • advise on what benefits you can claim

  • help with reviews and tribunal appeals

  • deal with disputes and delays

Advice centres, law centres and charities provide advice free of charge.

You can get advice on universal credit, housing benefit, jobseeker's allowance, income support, tax credits and disability benefits.

How to find a benefits adviser

Some organisations give general benefits advice and others offer more specialist help.

Citizens Advice

Advice by phone, email and online chat


Online information and a helpline for single parents

Age UK

Advice line 0800 678 1602

Law Centres Network

Search for a local law centre. Many offer specialist benefit advice

Last updated: 5 November 2020

If you need to talk to someone, we'll do our best to help

Get help