Free legal advice if you have a housing problem

Legal aid for housing problems

You might get free legal help if you:

  • have a serious housing problem

  • get benefits or have a low income

What can legal aid can help with?

The most common housing problems legal aid could help with are:

  • stopping or delaying eviction from a tenancy

  • repossession because of mortgage arrears

  • illegal eviction and landlord harassment

  • challenging a council decision on a homeless application

You can sometimes get help if your home has serious repair problems.

Who can get legal aid

You can usually get legal aid if you get:

  • universal credit (UC)

  • pension credit guarantee

  • income related employment and support allowance (ESA)

  • income based jobseeker's allowance (JSA)

  • income support

If you do not get any of these benefits, you might get legal aid if your monthly income before tax is less than £2,657.

You can only get legal aid if have less than £733 a month after paying for your housing and other essential expenses. The legal aid agency works this out.

Your partner's income, savings and assets count if you live with them. You need to show proof of your income and savings to your adviser. For example, bank statements.

Savings and other assets

You cannot get legal aid if you have £8,000 or more in savings or other assets.

Anything of value, such as property, cars or jewellery counts as assets and are included in working out if you should get legal aid.

The home you live in

You might not get legal aid if you have too much equity in your property.

Equity is the money you'd get after selling your home and paying off your mortgage and secured debts.

Secured debts are loans that are registered on your home.

Not all equity counts. £100,000 of equity in your home is ignored. £200,000 is ignored if you're facing repossession for mortgage arears.

The legal aid agency might ask you to pay back some of the cost if you get to keep your home. But you do not normally have to do this until your home is sold.

How to find a legal aid adviser

Our local services offer legal aid.

Find your closest Shelter service to see if we can help.

Other organisations that give help through legal aid include:

You can find a full list of legal aid providers on GOV.UK.

Some advice agencies give free advice even if you cannot get legal aid.

Legal help over the phone

Civil Legal Advice (CLA) gives telephone advice and casework.

A CLA adviser can:

  • give you advice

  • help you with court documents

  • put you in touch with a local service who can help you in court

  • speak to the council for you if they're not giving you the right homeless help

Call Civil Legal Advice on 0345 345 4 345

Text 'legalaid' and your name to 80010 - they can call you back.

Find out more about Civil Legal Advice on GOV.UK

Last updated: 27 November 2023

If you need to talk to someone, we'll do our best to help

Get help