Skip to main content
Shelter Logo

How to end a fixed term tenancy early

Speak to other joint tenants

You must discuss things with any other tenants named on your agreement. 

You need to make decisions about the tenancy together even if you're not related, or will not be living together after the tenancy ends. 

If you all want to leave

It's usually more straightforward if everyone wants to leave. 

To end the tenancy early you still need to either:

If other joint tenants want to stay

Joint tenants who want to stay are unlikely to agree to use a break clause because this could end their rights to stay in their home. 

You may still be able to negotiate an early end to your joint tenancy but you'll have to agree it with both the landlord and the other joint tenants.

Any tenants that want to stay will also need to make sure that a new tenancy agreement is in place for when the existing agreement ends.

This may mean finding a replacement tenant - someone who can move in instead of you and sign a new agreement.  

Finding a replacement joint tenant 

You may be able to find someone if, for example:

  • you advertise the property online

  • a friend or family member who has already seen the property is interested

Your housemates and your landlord would have to agree to a replacement joint tenant. It's not something you should arrange informally.

Make sure that the remaining joint tenants and the replacement tenant sign a new agreement with the landlord.

The replacement tenant should pay any deposit directly to the landlord, not to you.

Last updated: 26 September 2022

If you need to talk to someone, we'll do our best to help

Get help