How to end a fixed term tenancy early

Use this guide if you:

  • want to leave a fixed term tenancy early

  • have already left early and want to end your liability for rent

Use this guide instead if you have a rolling or periodic tenancy. You probably have this type of tenancy if your fixed term has ended already, or you had a rolling contract from the start. 

When you can end a fixed term early

You can end a fixed term tenancy early if you either:

  • use a break clause in your contract

  • negotiate a surrender with your landlord

You're still responsible for rent if you don't end the tenancy in one of these ways.

If you've not moved in yet

You still have a contract with the landlord even if you've not moved into the property.

There's no 'cooling off period' for tenancies so you'll probably have to negotiate.

Your landlord might be more willing to release you from the contract if the tenancy hasn't started yet.

For example, if you were going to move to a new area for work but your plans changed because of coronavirus.

Find out if you can end the tenancy before you move in.

Last updated: 23 February 2022

If you need to talk to someone, we'll do our best to help

Get help

Need more help to end your tenancy?

Try our ending a tenancy tool

We'll ask a few questions and tell you how to end your tenancy