How to end a periodic tenancy

You need to give the right notice to end a periodic tenancy.

What is a periodic tenancy?

A periodic tenancy is one that rolls on a weekly or monthly basis with no end date.

It might be periodic from the start or roll on after the end of a fixed term contract.

If you have a fixed term tenancy with an end date (e.g. 6 months) there are different rules if you want to move out early.

Giving notice

You can give your landlord a written notice to say you want to end your periodic tenancy. You must:

  • give the right amount of notice
  • make sure it ends on the right day

If you have done both of these 2 things, then on the date that your notice ends:

  • your right to live in the property ends
  • you stop being liable for rent

Your landlord can still  chase you for rent if you don’t end your tenancy properly

If you get a section 21 eviction notice and you want to move out before it expires, you may still need to give your own notice. 

Check what type of tenancy you have

Most periodic tenants who rent from a private landlord who doesn't live with them are assured shorthold tenants with either a:

  • statutory periodic tenancy
  • contractual periodic tenancy

The amount of notice you need to give depends on which type of tenancy you have.

You may need to look at your last written agreement to work out which you have.

Notice for statutory periodic tenancies

You have a statutory periodic tenancy if:

  • your last agreement had a fixed term
  • the end date has passed and you still live there
  • your fixed term agreement didn’t say that it would become a periodic contract at the end of the term

How much notice?

You must give at least:

  • 1 month's notice for a monthly tenancy
  • 4 weeks’ notice for a weekly tenancy

The notice must also end on the correct date. 

This also applies if you don’t have a written agreement and your tenancy has always been rolling.

Notice for contractual periodic tenancies

You have a contractual periodic tenancy if your last agreement was either a:

  • rolling contract with no end date
  • fixed term tenancy with a clause that said it would become a periodic contract when the fixed term ended

How much notice?

You need to follow what your agreement says about notice.

It may say you need to give a longer notice, for example 2 months, and that it must end on the right date. 

The end date on your notice

You can give the notice at any time but it needs to end on the right day. 

To be valid, a tenant's notice must end on the first or last day of a tenancy period.

This runs from when your periodic tenancy began and won’t always be the same as the date you pay rent.

Monthly tenancies

For example, if your tenancy began on 15 May:

  • the first day of the tenancy period is the 15th
  • the last day of the tenancy period is the 14th

Your notice would need to end on the 14th or 15th of the month.

This would be the case even if you actually paid your rent on  the 1st of the month. 

Weekly tenancies

For example, if your tenancy began on a Tuesday:

  • the first day of your tenancy period is Tuesday
  • the last day of your tenancy period is Monday

Your notice would need to end on a Monday or Tuesday.

You might need to give more than a month or 4 weeks’ notice to make sure it ends on the right day

If you’re not sure  

If you’re not sure when your notice should end you can include a ‘savings clause’. This says that your notice ends on the date you give, or the next end of tenancy period date after that.

How to give notice

You must give notice in writing to your landlord or their agent. 

It's a good idea to send it a few days early to make sure your landlord gets the right notice period even if it arrives late. 

It should include:

  • your name and address
  • landlord or agent's name and address
  • the date your notice period ends

Check your last written agreement to see where to send your notice. Don't send it by email unless your contract says you can.

If the contract doesn't specify an address, you can send it to your landlord or agent. Use recorded delivery or ask for a receipt if you deliver it by hand. 

Example notice

Here is an example of what you need to write:


To: [your landlord or their agent's name and address]

I, [tenant’s name], of [tenant’s address]

Give you notice that I intend to quit and deliver possession of the premises at [address of the tenancy.]

On [insert a date which is the first or last day of your tenancy period] or on the day on which a complete period of my tenancy ends next after the end of 4 weeks from service of this notice.

Signed: [your signature]

Date: [insert the date that you give the notice to your landlord]

If you don’t know your landlord’s address

You may be able to find your landlord or their agent's address on:

  • your tenancy agreement
  • your tenancy deposit protection information
  • the gas safety certificate
  • the Land Registry

Last updated 27 August 2019 | © Shelter

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help

Get help

Get the government to build more social housing

You have the power to make sure they provide affordable housing for all those who need it

Sign the petition Sign the petition

Email a link to this article

Thank you - your message has been sent.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.

Was this advice helpful?

Thank you - your feedback has been submitted to the team.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.