Renting options for EU nationals living in UK

Find out about short term and longer term renting options if you're an EU citizen living in or moving to the UK.

Emergency options if you're homeless

In many areas there's a shortage of emergency and longer-term housing and it can be difficult to find a place to live.

Private hostels

A private hostel could be an affordable option if you've moved to the UK recently and are still looking into longer-term renting options.  

Private hostels may offer:

  • shared dormitory-style bedrooms  

  • individual rooms with their own bathroom

  • a self-catering kitchen and laundry services

  • WiFi internet access

You usually have to pay a deposit and up to 2 weeks' rent in advance.  

You won't have to give too much notice if you decide to move on.

LHA London provide hostels for young people working or studying in London

Renting privately

Renting from a private landlord is a longer term option. Most private renters have assured shorthold tenancies

The cost of renting in the UK varies widely. London is the most expensive city but some areas are more affordable than others.

You need to budget for the following upfront costs as well: 

  • a deposit - should usually be protected and refunded when your tenancy ends  

  • rent in advance - usually at least 1 month's rent but you could be asked for more especially if you've not rented in UK before

Many private renters use letting agents to help find a home.

Agents can't charge fees for things like referencing, affordability and immigration checks.

Shared housing

A room in a shared house or a flat share will be cheaper than renting the whole property. But it's important to think about who you'll be sharing with.

The type of tenancy agreement you get has a big impact on your rights, so it's very important to understand the arrangements.

Many shared houses are classed as houses in multiple occupation (HMOs). The landlord has extra legal responsibilities and must be licensed by the local council.

If you live with your landlord, you're classed as a lodger and have very limited rights - you can usually be asked to leave with reasonable notice.

'Right to rent' immigration checks

All EU nationals have the right to rent from a private landlord in the UK. 

The landlord or agent will ask to see your passport or ID card before they offer you a tenancy. They should take a copy and return it to you immediately.

Claiming benefits to help with rent

Universal credit is a benefit for working age people on a low income. It includes a housing element to help with rent. 

If you're an EU national, you can usually claim universal credit if, for example, you: 

  • are in work or self employed

  • look for work after your job has ended

  • have settled status or permanent residence  

There may be other situations where you qualify.

You can't usually claim benefits in the UK if you've never worked here.

Renting from a council or housing association 

Council and housing association homes are cheaper than renting privately but there are long waiting lists in most areas.

The local council usually runs the housing register for this type of housing.

If you qualify for benefits in the UK, you can usually apply to the housing register

But in many areas, local councils have their own rules about:  

Last updated: 28 January 2020

If you need to talk to someone, we'll do our best to help

Get help