Letter template: Report damp to a housing association or council

Copy and paste this template into an email to the repairs team.

If your landlord owns many homes, they should have a dedicated damp and mould officer or team.

Ask your landlord who to contact if you're not sure.

[Use the subject: Damp and mould]

My name is [your name].

I am the tenant at [your address].

I have noticed damp and mould in my home.

[Give details of the problem, including where the damp is and any mould growth.]

This affects my health and wellbeing because [say how].

Please send me a copy of your repairs policy and your damp policy.

The government and the Housing Ombudsman have told social landlords to adopt a zero tolerance policy on damp and mould. They have also said landlords should find and fix the underlying problems and not blame damp and mould on tenants.

Please arrange for an inspection of the property as soon as possible.

I look forward to hearing from you.

You can also send it as an email attachment or through the post.

Last updated: 1 October 2023

If you need to talk to someone, we'll do our best to help

Get help