Housing benefit: How to deal with changes

Your housing benefit can be affected by a change in circumstances. Payments may increase, reduce, be suspended or stop altogether.

Find out how to report a change and how payments could be affected.

Some changes mean your housing benefit will stop and you'll have to start a new claim for universal credit instead. These include:

  • having your first child

  • moving to another council area

  • separating from or moving in with a partner

If your circumstances don't change, keep claiming housing benefit until you're contacted about switching to universal credit. This is expected to happen over the next 5 years.

Last updated: 1 February 2019

If you need to talk to someone, we'll do our best to help

Get help