Where to get help with debts

A local Shelter advice centre or Citizens Advice could help if you're worried about debt. You can also get debt or money advice over the phone or online.

How a debt adviser can help

A specialist debt adviser could help you to:

  • claim benefits 

  • manage your money

  • prioritise your debts

  • draw up a financial statement

  • negotiate with lenders and other creditors

Face-to-face debt advice

Most Shelter advice centres offer debt advice as well as housing advice.

Shelter may be able to help you with debt problems including:

  • rent arrears

  • mortgage arrears

  • utility bill debts – gas, electricity and water

  • debt collection companies or creditors

  • hire purchase, credit card or loan arrears

You can also get face-to-face debt advice from Citizens Advice.

Home visits

Christians Against Poverty (CAP) can provide debt advice in your own home.

Legal advice if your home is at risk

You could qualify for legal aid (free legal advice and representation) if your home is at risk because of rent or mortgage arrears and you're on a low income.

Civil Legal Advice provide phone advice and may refer you to a solicitor for further help.

National helplines

A number of charities offer free phone advice for debt problems:

They also have lots of online information, self-help tools and a webchat service.

Online help

Online tools and advice can help you with budgeting and dealing with your debts.

Use StepChange's online tool for:

  • debt advice

  • budgeting help

  • help if you're finances have been affected by Coronavirus

It's a good place to start if you're not sure what kind of help you need.

You can also work out a budget using:

Last updated: 3 September 2018

If you need to talk to someone, we'll do our best to help

Get help