Council and housing association tenants: eviction for rent arrears

Coronavirus update:

From the 27 March 2020 all eviction action has been suspended for 3 months by the court service.

During this time:

  • your council or housing association can't get a possession order
  • you can't be evicted by bailiffs

Use the time to deal with your rent arrears and get legal advice on your situation.

Contact Civil Legal Advice on 0345 345 4 345

This guide is for secure tenants and assured housing association tenants facing eviction for rent arrears.

We have different eviction advice if you're:

Last updated 27 Mar 2020 | © Shelter

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help

Get help

Get the government to build more social housing

You have the power to make sure they provide affordable housing for all those who need it

Sign the petition Sign the petition

Email a link to this article

Thank you - your message has been sent.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.

Was this advice helpful?

Thank you - your feedback has been submitted to the team.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.