Council and housing association tenants: eviction for antisocial behaviour

Antisocial behaviour includes things like:

  • racist or homophobic abuse

  • causing a nuisance to your neighbours

  • threatening your landlord's staff or contractors

  • using your home for illegal purposes, such as drug dealing

  • a criminal conviction for a serious offence

  • breaching a criminal behaviour order

Guests can also put your tenancy at risk if they behave in an antisocial way when they visit.

Complaints about your behaviour

Eviction should be a last resort.

Your council or housing association should:

  • discuss any complaints with you

  • give you a chance to stop the behaviour

  • offer mediation or tenancy support if this would help

What to do

You may be able to stop the eviction process going further if you accept support offered or agree to mediation.

You can ask to be referred to a community mental health team or drug and alcohol service if you think these issues are affecting your behaviour.

The eviction process

The 3 stages to the process are:

  1. Notice

  2. Court action

  3. Bailiffs

Most council and housing association tenants have secure or assured tenancies.

Your landlord will need to prove a reason for eviction in court and sometimes the court can stop or delay an eviction.

Read this information instead if you have a:

You can be evicted more easily with these types of tenancy.

What to do

Look out for important letters from your landlord or the court.

Get free legal advice as early as you can.

Talk to your council's homeless team. They can give you advice and support, even if you're a council tenant.

1. Notice

You get a 'notice seeking possession' if you have an assured tenancy or a secure tenancy.

You can see which form should be used on GOV.UK:

Read your notice carefully to understand the reasons for eviction and when court action could start.

Use our notice periods checker to find out how much notice your landlord has to give you.

What to do

Contact your landlord if you disagree with any of the information in the notice, or if you need support or want to resolve things.

Check the grounds on the notice

The reasons for eviction are called 'grounds for possession' on the notice.

The grounds are numbered. There are different grounds for secure and assured tenants.

Your landlord must prove a ground at a court hearing to get an eviction order.

Check the date court action can start

The date is written on the notice.

How much notice you get depends on your tenancy type and the ground used.

These tables show the minimum notice periods for antisocial behaviour grounds.

Assured tenancyMinimum notice period
Ground 14None - court action can start as soon as you're given notice
Grounds 14A or 14ZA2 weeks
Ground 7A4 weeks - periodic tenancies
1 month - fixed term tenancies
Secure tenancyMinimum notice period
Ground 2None - court action can start as soon as you're given notice
Grounds 2A or 2ZA4 weeks
Section 84A notice4 weeks - periodic tenancies
1 month - fixed term tenancies

How long the notice is valid for

Your landlord has a year to start court action.

For assured tenants this runs from when you get the notice. For secure tenants this runs from the date the notice says court action can start.

What to do

Your notice is shorter and your case will usually get to court quicker if you're facing eviction for antisocial behaviour.

Get free legal advice on your next steps.

2. Court action starts

Your landlord can apply for a possession order once the notice period has ended.

You will get several letters and forms from the court. Keep them together in a file.

Claim and defence forms

Read the claim form carefully. Look for any mistakes or anything you disagree with.

Get legal help to complete and return the defence form within 2 weeks.

The court hearing

The court will usually arrange the hearing when they send out the claim and defence forms.

Check the paperwork to find out:

  • the time and date of the hearing

  • where it will take place

  • how to contact the court duty scheme

Possession hearings usually take place at your local county court.

You should attend in person unless everyone has agreed to a hearing by phone or video. 

Follow GOV.UK court guidance on attending hearings.

What to do

Get free legal help before the hearing if you can.

Go to your hearing even if:

  • you do not have a legal adviser

  • you have not returned the defence form

You can get help from a court duty adviser on the day.

When the court could allow you to stay

The court could make a suspended possession order if the council or housing association proves a 'discretionary ground'.

A suspended order means you can stay in your home as long as you keep to the conditions in the order.

Common discretionary grounds are:

  • grounds 1 and 2 - secure tenants

  • grounds 10, 11 and 14 - assured housing association tenants

The court will probably make an eviction order if the antisocial behaviour is very serious and ongoing, or if a criminal offence has been committed.

What the court looks at

With a discretionary ground, the court looks at the effect of the behaviour on your neighbours and employees of the council or housing association.

You may be able to keep your home if you can show that the behaviour has already stopped or will stop immediately.

For example, if the behaviour was caused by:

  • mental health or drug and alcohol problems - and you now get support

  • someone else in your home - and you can show they no longer live there or visit

If your landlord also uses a rent arrears ground, the court will look at the level of arrears and if you have come to a repayment agreement.

When the court must order eviction for antisocial behaviour

The court must make an outright possession order if the council or housing association prove a 'mandatory antisocial behaviour ground'.

The order sets a date for you to leave your home.

Your landlord is using a mandatory antisocial behaviour ground if your notice:

  • lists Ground 7A and you have an assured tenancy

  • states the court will be asked to make an order under section 84A and you have a secure tenancy

These grounds can only be used in specific situations. For example, if you've been convicted of certain offences in the local area.

When the court must order eviction for rent arrears

The court must order eviction if you're an assured housing association tenant and your landlord proves ground 8 because you have rent arrears.

Your landlord must be able to show that you had at least 8 weeks' arrears both:

  • when you're given notice

  • at the time of the hearing

Try to get your arrears below 8 weeks by the time of the hearing.

Your case is likely to be dealt with sooner by the courts if you're also facing eviction for antisocial behaviour.

3. Eviction by bailiffs

The council or housing association can ask bailiffs to evict you if you:

  • break the conditions in a suspended order

  • stay in your home past the date in an outright order

They must apply for an eviction warrant.

The bailiffs give you at least 2 weeks' notice of the eviction date.

What to do

If the eviction order was made on a discretionary ground you could still ask the court to stop the eviction at this late stage.

Get legal advice before you apply. The court might not be willing to stop the eviction if there is ongoing evidence of antisocial behaviour.

Find out what happens if the eviction goes ahead.

Help from the council after eviction

Ask the council for help if you will be homeless following an eviction.

You can do this even if you're being evicted from a council tenancy.

The council may decide you're intentionally homeless if your behaviour was deliberate or you didn't try to stop it. But this doesn't mean they don't have to help at all.

You may qualify for emergency housing if you have children, are pregnant or have another priority need.

Last updated: 16 November 2022

If you need to talk to someone, we'll do our best to help

Get help