Skip to main content
Shelter Logo

Help from the council with harassment and illegal eviction

Tell the council if your landlord harasses you or threatens you with illegal eviction.

The council must help if it means you might be legally homeless.

The council might:

  • talk to your landlord about your rights

  • prosecute your landlord in serious cases

  • tell your landlord that they are breaking the law

  • help you get back into your home if you've been illegally evicted

What to do before you contact the council

Get information together before you contact your council if you can.

Be ready to tell them:

  • how your landlord is harassing you

  • times and dates of unwanted visits

  • your landlord’s contact details

It will be easier for the council to take action against your landlord if you have this information.

Find out about how to keep a record of harassment.

Contact the council

Every council has a team that deals with harassment and illegal eviction.

The team could be called something like:

  • environmental health team

  • private rented housing team

  • tenancy relations officer or team

Their contact details should be on your council's website.

In London, you can report a rogue landlord or agent on the London Assembly website. Your local council can use these details for investigation if you give permission.

Phone the council

Say you need help because your landlord is harassing you or threatening to illegally evict you.

Make a note of:

  • who you speak to

  • what you discuss

  • the time and date

  • the number you've called

  • what your next steps should be

Use an online form to contact the council

Some councils only let you contact them with an online form.

Make sure you mention:

  • your landlord’s actions

  • what specific help you want

  • why you’re at risk of illegal eviction or harassment

  • how often and when the harassment has happened

Keep a record of the date and time you sent the form and any reference number you get.

Use our letter template

Copy the template into an email to your council.

[Use the subject: Harassment and illegal eviction by private landlord]

I have a private tenancy at [your address] and I am at risk of illegal eviction.

I need urgent help to stop my landlord harassing me.

My landlord is [name and contact details of landlord or letting agent].

They are harassing me by [say what is happening and when].

I need to speak to a tenancy relations officer or someone on the private rented housing team as soon as possible.

Please contact me on [phone number or email].

Thank you

You can also send it as an email attachment or by post:

Houses in multiple occupation (HMOs)

Make sure you tell your council if you live in an HMO.

Most HMOs must be licensed by the council.

Landlord harassment breaks HMO rules. Your landlord might lose their HMO licence.

If you cannot get through to your council

It can be hard to get through to your council. Keep trying.

It is a good idea to:

  • try different numbers on your council website

  • call your council at different times of the day

  • get in touch with your local councillor

  • send follow up emails

  • contact your local MP

If you're facing homelessness

Contact your council's homeless team if you cannot stay in or return to your home because of harassment.

How to contact your council's homeless team

What is your location?

Need more templates?

What do you want to tell your landlord or letting agent?

Last updated: 22 April 2024

If you need to talk to someone, we'll do our best to help

Get help