Skip to main content
Shelter Logo

Gypsy and Traveller sites

If you are a member of the Gypsy or Traveller communities, you might find a pitch on:

  • a council owned site

  • a privately owned site that has a licence

Most council and private sites are permanent.

Some councils have transit sites for shorter stays.

How to apply

You can contact the council in a local area to apply to live on a council site.

Ask if the council has a Gypsy and Traveller liaison officer who you can speak to.

Search for a Gypsy and Traveller liaison officer on the Friends, Families and Travellers website.

The liaison officer may also be able to tell you about private sites in the area.

Your agreement

When you move on to a site you are given a written agreement. This should set out:

  • the site rules

  • your pitch fees

  • the site manager’s responsibilities

  • notice times if you want to leave


Costs will usually include:

  • pitch fees

  • council tax

  • utilities

Help with costs

You can claim benefits to help with pitch fees if you are struggling with costs.

You can apply for council tax support on GOV.UK. Your council tax bill will be reduced if you get council tax support.


Facilities on sites can include:

  • space for a caravan

  • space to park vehicles or a second caravan

  • toilets, showers or baths

  • storage space

Leaving the site to travel

You can usually keep your pitch when you are travelling.

Your pitch agreement may say how long you can be away for.

You can also check with the site manager. Ask for any agreement about the time you can be away for in writing.

You keep paying your pitch fees and council tax while you are away.

How to complain about sites and treatment

You can complain to the site manager if you are not happy with the facilities or conditions.

If you live on a council site or are upset about the council's behaviour towards you:

Inheriting a pitch or mobile home

Your pitch goes to your husband, wife or civil partner if you lived together in the mobile home.

If you don't have a married or civil partner, it can pass to another family member who lives with you. This includes an unmarried partner.

Partners or family members who live with you can stay on the pitch.

If you don't have a partner or family member living with you, your mobile home can be passed to your next of kin or to someone else in a will.

They need the site owner's permission to live on the site.

If you are threatened with eviction

You can ask the local council for homeless help if you're homeless or facing eviction in the next 8 weeks.

Still need help?

You can get specialist advice and support from:

Last updated: 14 March 2024

If you need to talk to someone, we'll do our best to help

Get help