Renting a mobile home

You could be a licensee or a tenant if you rent a mobile home.

If you have a licence

Most people who rent a mobile home, such as a static caravan, have a licence to occupy rather than a tenancy.

How long you can stay, your landlord's responsibilities and how much notice you'll get will mainly depend on what it says in your contract.

If you don’t have a written agreement, you will still have some protection against eviction.

If you have a tenancy

Some people who rent a mobile home are tenants.

You can only have a tenancy if your mobile home is classed as ‘a dwelling house’.

This might apply if it is:

  • your home
  • static and not able to be moved, even in two parts
  • connected to mains supplies of electricity and water

If you’re a tenant, your legal rights depend on the type of tenancy you have.

Check what type of tenancy you have.

Eviction from a mobile home

You are entitled to at least 4 weeks’ notice regardless of if you’re a tenant or licensee.

Your landlord must go to court and get a possession order to evict you from your home.

You may be entitled to more notice and have additional protection from eviction if you have a tenancy.

Contact a Shelter adviser online, by phone or in person

Landlord harassment and illegal eviction

It’s illegal for your landlord to harass you or force you to leave your mobile home.

Harassment can include if your landlord:

  • cuts off your gas, electricity or water
  • is abusive or violent
  • enters your home without your permission

There are steps you can take to deal with landlord harassment. The council can help if you’re illegally evicted.

Ask the council for help if you're facing homelessness

Repairs and conditions in mobile homes


Your landlord is only responsible for repairs in your mobile home that are specified in your contract.


Your landlord is responsible for most repairs in your mobile home.

This usually includes:

  • heating and hot water
  • the roof and walls of your mobile home
  • sinks, toilets, pipes and drains

Report repairs in writing to your landlord as soon as possible.

Claiming benefits for a mobile home

You can claim housing benefit or housing costs under universal credit if you have a low income or receive other benefits. It can be used to pay your rent or site fees.

Still need advice?

Contact a Shelter adviser online, by phone or in person

Last updated 27 September 2018 | © Shelter

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help

Get help

Get the government to build more social housing

You have the power to make sure they provide affordable housing for all those who need it

Sign the petition Sign the petition

Email a link to this article

Thank you - your message has been sent.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.

Was this advice helpful?

Thank you - your feedback has been submitted to the team.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.