Skip to main content
Shelter Logo

Moving out during repairs

You may need to move out of your private rented home temporarily or permanently if it needs major repairs or building work.

Moving out temporarily during repairs

If your landlord asks you to move out for a short time, make sure you have somewhere to stay before you agree to it.

You should also ask your landlord to confirm in writing:

  • how long you will have to move out for

  • how much rent you need to pay, if any

  • your right to return after the work is complete

  • any compensation or costs (such as moving costs, storage or for a hotel) they are willing to pay

Right to stay during repair work

You have the right to stay in your private rented home while most repairs are being carried out.

Your landlord should:

  • tell you how long work should take

  • agree with you when and where work takes place

  • try to keep disruption to a minimum

You can only be made to move out if there is no other way the repairs can be done. Your landlord needs to apply for a court order if you do not agree to move out temporarily.

Alternative accommodation

Most private landlords do not have to provide alternative accommodation during repair or building work, even if parts of your home cannot be used.

Your landlord is only required to arrange accommodation for you if it’s written in your tenancy agreement.

Ask the council for homelessness help if you are made to move out during repairs.

Rent and other costs

You can ask your landlord for a rent reduction if you cannot use part or all of your home during repair or building work.

You can also ask them to make a contribution to your bills if their workers have to use your gas or electricity.

You do not have the right to stop paying rent during repairs in your home. Your landlord can take steps to evict you if do.

If your landlord asks you to leave

Your private landlord may try to end your tenancy if they want to do major repair or building work in your home.

Your landlord must follow the correct eviction process and give you notice. How much notice you get depends on the type of tenancy you have.

It's a criminal offence if you're forced to leave your home without the legal process.

If you want to move somewhere else

You might decide it's best to find somewhere else if repairs or building work make your home unsuitable to live in.

The process for ending a tenancy depends on if you have:

End your tenancy properly if you plan to leave, or you could still be responsible for rent

Last updated: 19 July 2022

If you need to talk to someone, we'll do our best to help

Get help