Help if you’re homeless: disabilities and health conditions

Find out what help you can get if you’re homeless and have a disability or serious health condition.

Council help if you're homeless

The council must provide some help if you’re homeless or might lose your home in the next 8 weeks. This includes if you have received a section 21 notice from your landlord that ends in 8 weeks or less.

Providing you meet immigration and residence conditions, the council looks into why you're homeless or facing homelessness. They take into account any care and support needs you have.

The council give you a personal housing plan that records steps you and the council must take. This could be to stop you becoming homeless or find somewhere else for you to live.

You can get help with your application if you have special needs. For example, you can request a sign language interpreter or bring a support worker or advocate to your assessment meeting.

Emergency housing

The council must provide emergency housing if they think you're homeless and have a priority need.

Tell the council about your disability or health condition and how it affects you or a family member. This can help to show that you're in priority need of housing.

Longer-term housing

The council must decide if you qualify for longer-term housing.

You may have to spend some time in suitable temporary accommodation If you qualify. To decide if accommodation is suitable for you, the council must consider any disability or health conditions affecting you or your family.

You can ask for a review of the council's decision if the council refuses longer-term housing or if you think the housing offer is unsuitable.

Help to stay in your home

You can be legally homeless if you can’t stay in your current home because it's unsuitable due to a disability or serious health condition.

The council could help you adapt your home if it’s not suitable for you or a family member because of a disability or health condition.

You can apply for a disabled facilities grant to pay for adaptations which help you to use and move about your home safely, for example:

  • ramps to access the home

  • a downstairs bathroom or stairlift

Find out how to apply for a disabled facilities grant on

You can also ask your council for a needs assessment. Social services will assess you to see what help and support you need in your home. This can include adaptations.

Find out how to apply for a needs assessment on

The council could give you priority on the housing register or for a tenancy transfer if your home can't be adapted.

Contact a Shelter adviser

Contact Shelter if you’re suddenly homeless and you or a family member has a disability or a serious health condition. This includes a:

  • learning disability

  • mental health condition

  • chronic or terminal illness

Still need help?

You can get advice on housing and your rights from the following national charities:

Last updated: 3 April 2018

If you need to talk to someone, we'll do our best to help

Get help