Fire safety advice for tenants

Find out what landlord should do to keep your rented home fire safe and what you can do if you are worried it's not.

Report a fire

Call the Fire Service on 999 to report a fire.

You can also call if you smell burning, but don't know where it's coming from.

Landlords' responsibility for fire safety

Landlords are responsible for the safety of:

  • the electrical wiring and any electrical appliances they provide
  • the gas supply and any gas appliances they provide – they have a legal duty to have these checked each year by a gas safe engineer
  • any furniture they provide – upholstered furniture should usually be fire resistant

Landlords can be fined and sent to prison if they don't follow fire safety regulations.

Smoke alarms

Most private landlords must make sure that working smoke alarms are fitted on each floor of their rented properties.

They must make sure that the smoke alarms provided are in working order at the start of any new tenancy.

You are responsible for checking the alarm works after you move in. If an alarm stops working, check if it needs new batteries or contact the landlord to arrange a replacement alarm.

Most council and housing association landlords also fit smoke alarms in their properties.

You should allow your landlord access to your home to fit or repair smoke alarms.

Carbon monoxide detectors

Most private landlords must fit a carbon monoxide detector in any room with a coal or wood fire in your home.

If you are a council or housing association tenant, your landlord might install one if you ask.

Complain to the council about fire safety

If you are worried about fire safety in your home, you can ask your local council’s environmental health department to inspect your home for health and safety hazards.

The council uses the Housing Health and Safety Rating System to assess if your home is unsafe.

The council can take action against your landlord if their inspection finds a fire risk.

If your landlord hasn’t fitted smoke alarms

The council can issue a notice telling your private landlord to fit and test smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors within 28 days.

The council can fine the landlord up to £5000 and arrange to fit the alarms itself if your landlord doesn’t.

Fire safety in shared homes

Shared houses that are licensed by the council as houses in multiple occupancy (HMOs) must have extra fire precaution equipment and facilities.

As a condition of their licence, landlords can be required to have fire doors, protected escape routes, fire extinguishers or blankets.

Tenants in shared houses must also be given a copy of the latest electrician's inspection report.

Electrical fire safety

Electricity is a major cause of accidental fires in the home. Contact your landlord if you're worried about electrical safety in your home.

This could include:

  • the condition of wiring in your home
  • loose plugs on electrical items provided by the landlord
  • torn or fraying cables on kettles, toasters or other appliances provided by the landlord
  • sockets that do not work, have burn marks on them or feel hot

Gas safety

Faulty gas appliances or pipework in your home can cause gas leaks, fire risks and carbon monoxide poisoning.

Contact your landlord if you're worried about gas safety in your home.

Furniture fire safety

When you rent a furnished property, any upholstered furniture such as sofas, cushions and mattresses must meet fire safety standards.

After a fire

Contact your local council to make a homeless application if you can't live in your home after a fire and have nowhere to stay.

If the Fire Service tells you your home is safe to return to: 

  • contact your landlord to arrange repairs
  • contact your insurance company to make a claim for your personal belongings
  • ask your landlord to arrange for gas, fire and electrical safety checks

Get advice if your home is too badly damaged to live in but your landlord tells you must keep paying rent.

Contact a Shelter adviser online, by phone or in person.

Find out more from Gov.UK about fire safety in the home.

Last updated 01 Mar 2018 | © Shelter

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help

Get help

Was this advice helpful?

Email a link to this article

Thank you - your message has been sent.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.

Was this advice helpful?

Thank you - your feedback has been submitted to the team.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.