Homeless and living with family or friends

Ask your council for housing help

Ask your council for help if you're facing homelessness.

Tell the council specifically that you want to make a homeless application.

Our template email tells you what to say or write to the council.

Keep trying if you do not get a response. You have the right to ask for help.

Personal housing plan

If you're threatened with homelessness the council must:

The plan should focus on making sure you have somewhere to live for at least the next 6 months.

Help to find a private landlord

Many councils expect you to find a private tenancy yourself. They may help with a deposit.

Some councils work with private landlords. They may help you find a new private tenancy.

Housing association and council homes

You should be allowed to join the housing register.

You will get some priority on the waiting list if you're facing homelessness.

Last updated: 26 November 2021

If you need to talk to someone, we'll do our best to help

Get help