Cash in a crisis

You may be able to get help and support with essentials if your income is low.

Benefits and help with rent

Make sure you claim all the benefits you can.

Use the entitledto benefits calculator to see what you could claim.

You may be able to get help with your rent and living costs from universal credit.

Universal credit may not always be the best option. In some cases you may be able to:

  • get statutory sick pay

  • claim other benefits if you're self employed

Find out more about how to get help with rent.

Universal credit advance payments

When you make your first universal credit claim, it'll be at least 5 weeks before you get your first payment.

If you need money quickly, you can apply for a universal credit advance. You'll have to pay this back through deductions from your normal payments over the next 2 years.

Emergency financial help

Your council may have a local welfare assistance scheme for people in extreme hardship. This can help with the cost of essentials like food, bills, clothing and household items.

Find your local council here.

If your income is affected by the coronavirus outbreak, your council may be able to offer you extra financial support or help with essentials. Check their website for details.

Help with a rent shortfall

If you claim universal credit or housing benefit, councils can make a discretionary housing payment to help you top up a rent shortfall.

You make a DHP claim directly to your council.

Contact your council's discretionary housing payments team

What is your location?

Help with council tax

Check if you qualify for a:

Coronavirus update: beware of scams

Use trusted sources of information about coronavirus like the government and the NHS.

Don't reply to emails about coronavirus from people you don't know. Don't click on any links or provide personal or financial details.

Citizens Advice have more information on how to check if something's a scam.

Support with free food

Contact your local food bank if you need help with food.

Check if coronavirus means there are ongoing changes to how you can access their support.

You can search for your local food bank and find out about support on the Trussell Trust website.

If the NHS has contacted you to say you're extremely vulnerable to coronavirus, you can still ask your council for help with essentials like food or care if you need to.

Free school meals

Your child may be able to get free school meals if you get certain benefits.

Find out how to apply on GOV.UK.

During the pandemic, some parents received scam emails which asked for bank details for free school meals. Always delete these emails and don't give bank details.

Your child should still be able to get help with food through their school if they qualify for free school meals. Contact your school for details.

Help with energy bills

Ofgem has advice on steps to take if your energy supplier goes out of business.

If you’re struggling to pay gas and electricity bills because of the coronavirus outbreak, speak to your supplier immediately.

You could get support such as reduced bills or debt repayments, or more time to pay.

If you have a pre payment meter, they could, for example:

  • arrange for someone else to top up your meter

  • add credit to your account automatically

  • send you a pre loaded top up card

Other help

You may be able to get a short term loan from a credit union.

You can apply for a budgeting advance or budgeting loan if you get certain benefits and need help with things like appliances, furniture or moving costs.

Last updated: 27 September 2021

If you need to talk to someone, we'll do our best to help

Get help