Section 21 eviction

Coronavirus update

From 21 September the courts start to deal with evictions again.

There is a backlog of cases and the eviction process takes time.

What is a section 21?

A section 21 is a legal notice that a landlord can give to start the process to end an assured shorthold tenancy. Most private renters have this type of tenancy.

You might be given a section 21 notice during a:

  • rolling periodic tenancy
  • fixed term tenancy - if there's a break clause

It gives a date for you to leave your home. But your tenancy continues if you stay past the date in the notice.

Your landlord will then have to apply to court if they still want you to leave.

Use our tenancy rights checker if you're not sure what kind of tenancy you have

Moving out before the end of the notice

Section 21s given on or after 29 August must give you at least 6 months' notice.  

You may want to leave before the end of the notice if you find somewhere else to live.

Make sure you agree an end date to the tenancy with your landlord if you move out before the end of the notice. Keep letters, emails or texts as evidence of what is agreed.  

A section 21 notice means your landlord wants you to leave so they should be happy to agree an earlier move out date.

Find out more about how you can give notice to end your tenancy.

Last updated 18 September 2020 | © Shelter

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help

Get help

Have you had a bad housing experience?

By sharing your story, you’re helping spread the message of what we do so that we can help even more people.

Share your story Share your story

Email a link to this article

Thank you - your message has been sent.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.

Was this advice helpful?

Thank you - your feedback has been submitted to the team.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.