Damp and mould in rented homes

Find out about the causes of damp and mould, what your landlord should do to resolve a damp problem and what you can do if they don't.

What you can do about damp and mould in your home

Types of damp

Your home could be affected by any of the 3 common types of damp:

  • condensation
  • penetrating damp
  • rising damp

Sometimes it’s easy to spot the cause of damp. You landlord might need to ask a damp expert if they don’t know what’s causing the problem.


Condensation is the most common form of damp in rented properties.

It appears when excess moisture in the air comes into contact with a cold surface, such as a window or a cold wall. It can lead to mould growth and tends to be worse in winter.

It's made worse by inadequate ventilation, heating or insulation.

Penetrating damp

Penetrating damp is caused by water coming through external walls or the roof. It can also happen when there is an internal leak or plumbing problem.

Rising damp

Rising damp is when moisture beneath the building is soaked up into the bricks or concrete. It's a common problem on the ground floor and basements of older houses.

Report a damp problem to your landlord

Tell your landlord about the damp problem and any:

  • repairs needed
  • impact on your health
  • damage to furniture and belongings

Make sure you follow up an initial phone call or email with a letter:

Use Shelter's template letter to write to your landlord

Your landlord should organise an inspection and carry out any repairs they are responsible for.

Some private landlords would rather evict their tenants than carry out repairs. Find out if you're protected from revenge eviction in this situation.

What your landlord should do about damp

If damp is caused by an underlying repair issue, your landlord should arrange for the repairs to be done within a reasonable time.

Common examples of problems your landlord must fix include:

  • leaking internal pipes
  • missing roof tiles or faulty guttering
  • cracked walls or rotten window frames

Your landlord should also replace any damaged plaster, skirting boards or flooring and redecorate if needed once the problem is fixed.

Deal with condensation

Your landlord must repair anything causing a condensation problem, for example, a broken heating system or faulty extractor fan.

If the problem isn't resolved through repairs, your landlord should consider improving:

  • heating
  • insulation
  • ventilation

What your landlord has to do depends on how bad the problem is. Some landlords provide dehumidifiers rather than make expensive improvements.

Damp proofing

Damp proof courses can prevent rising damp.

Your landlord must arrange repair or replacement of an existing damp proof course that isn't working and make good any damage caused by the damp.

If your home doesn't have a damp proof course, your landlord may have to install one if rising damp causes ongoing problems which need repeated repairs.

Make sure your home is fit to live in

From 20 March 2019 landlords must make sure their properties are fit to live in from the start of a new tenancy and remain so throughout the tenancy.

This doesn't affect all tenancies immediately but most will be covered by this rule by March 2020. 

It means that your landlord must take steps to fix a serious damp problem in the property even if it's not caused by something being broken. 

What you can do to reduce condensation

Everyday activities like cooking, showering, drying clothes and even sleeping create moisture in your home which can lead to condensation.

It can help if you:

  • cover pans when cooking
  • use extractor fans in kitchens and bathrooms
  • close internal doors when cooking or showering
  • leave a gap between furniture and external walls
  • dry clothes outdoors or use a vented tumble dryer
  • open bedroom windows for 5-10 minutes when you get up

Heat your home

Try to keep your home properly heated. It usually helps to have a low background temperature of at least 15 degrees in all rooms.

Find out more from the Money Advice Service about saving money on heating.

Deal with mould

You can treat mould growth to remove it and stop it getting worse. Use a fungicidal wash, available from DIY shops or supermarkets.

Don't try to brush or vacuum mould.

See NHS Choices for more on how to get rid of mould.

How environmental health can help

You can contact environmental health at the council if your landlord doesn't fix the damp problem.

Environmental health can inspect your home and assess the risk to your health under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS).

They can mediate with your landlord and if the problem is serious they can:

  • order your landlord to carry out repairs or improvements
  • do the work themselves and charge the landlord

If you're a council tenant, the council can't take action against itself but environmental health can still inspect and tell the housing department what work is needed.

Consider legal action

Court action is sometimes possible if your landlord fails to deal with a damp problem. You may be able to get work done and ask for compensation.

Legal action through the courts can be costly and takes time. It should only be considered as a last resort.

Still need help?

Get advice if your home is in a bad condition and you're not sure what to do.

Contact a Shelter adviser online, by phone or in person.

Last updated 19 Mar 2019 | © Shelter

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help

Get help

Was this advice helpful?

Email a link to this article

Thank you - your message has been sent.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.

Was this advice helpful?

Thank you - your feedback has been submitted to the team.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.