Skip to main content
Shelter Logo

Nuisance and ASB

Options to deal with nuisance, noise and antisocial behaviour (ASB).

This content applies to England & Wales
  • Noise and how to prevent it

    Effective use of the planning regulations can prevent irritation and ill health caused by undesired sounds.

  • Action when noise is a nuisance

    People affected by noise can deal with it through mediation and negotiation or can take action against occupiers causing noise.

  • Action against different type of noise

    Occupiers may be able to take action over noise caused by disrepair at the occupier's own property or noise such as aircraft, building sites, burglar alarms, or entertainment.

  • Local authority duties to deal with noise

    Councils have a duty to take reasonable steps to investigate complaints of noise and to inspect its area to detect any statutory nuisance.

  • Neighbour disputes

    In any case involving a community or neighbourhood dispute, it is essential to assess whether the actions of the people concerned are antisocial in nature.

  • Legal remedies for occupiers

    Legal remedies for occupiers experiencing antisocial behaviour and harassment that is not aimed at forcing occupiers to leave their accommodation.

  • How an occupier can deal with antisocial behaviour

    Steps that can be taken to tackle a problem and the role of residents’ groups, including reporting the matter to the landlord or the police and collecting evidence.

  • Housing options for people experiencing antisocial behaviour

    The desired outcomes, the security of tenure of the occupier, and the seriousness of the offences must be considered when deciding on the best next steps.

  • Complaints to social landlords about antisocial behaviour

    Options if complaints are made about antisocial behaviour and the landlord fails to take action or the action taken is unsatisfactory.

  • Community trigger and remedies

    The community trigger gives victims the right for a review of their complaints, and the community remedy allows them an input into the punishment of perpetrators.

  • Community protection notices

    A community protection notice (CPN) can be issued against a persistent antisocial behaviour perpetrator, and the failure to comply can lead to sanctions.

  • Injunctions to prevent nuisance or annoyance

    Police or any social landlord can apply for an injunction to prevent nuisance or annoyance (IPNA) to stop antisocial behaviour of any person aged 10 or over.

  • Criminal behaviour orders

    Criminal behaviour orders (CBOs) are aimed at tackling serious and persistent antisocial behaviour and can lead to imprisonment and eviction.

  • Injunctions against gang related violence

    Police and local authorities can apply for injunctions to prevent gang related violence and drug dealing activity.

  • Orders to close premises

    Closure of premises to prevent or deal with public nuisance and disorder comprises of the issuing of a closure notice followed by a closure order.